Academic Reading, Writing, and Study Skills course is aimed to substantially improve grade 8, 9, and 10 students’ academic performance in high school and to prepare them for college.
The course develops learners’ critical reading and thinking skills, academic writing and literacy, as well as study skills needed to achieve better learning outcomes in their cross-curricular studies.
The course duration is 10 months with two 1-hour instructor-led sessions per week.
The cost – $30 per session, paid monthly.
- Explicit instruction of reading comprehension strategies and sufficient opportunities for practice
- Instruction (in a virtual environment) that promotes engagement and self-regulated learning
- Extensive writing as a measure of comprehension and for academic writing skills development
- Task-based collaborative learning, graded assignments and thorough feedback
- Technology to deliver instruction and for learners to track their progress.
Upon successful completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- Organize their ideas, plan, revise, and edit a range of writing tasks and projects
- Construct more sophisticated sentences, summarize texts, write cohesive paragraphs and essays
- Research, write, and proofread their written work adhering to academic writing standards
- Use critical reading and thinking skills more effectively for learning across high-school curriculum.
Irina has been delivering instruction to learners of all ages and educational backgrounds for over 15 years. She obtained her first Master’s degree in TEFL from UCLA affiliate American University in 2004 and her second Master’s degree in Instructional Design from Western Governors University in 2018.
Her expertise lies in Academic English, English for Specific Purposes as well as course design and development. She also has an unceasing passion for helping learners to reach their full potential.